Popular Posts

Friday, July 11, 2014

Four Fabulous Foundations

A Warm Welcome to the Color Elated!

     Beautiful skin has been an obsession with me for a good deal of my life.  Like many teens, I had acne...bad acne.  But I told myself that it would get better in my twenties.  Well, it decided to torment me during that decade as well.  But I told myself my thirties would get better.  It did, but I kept some amount of acne into my early forties.  And, truth be told, I practiced great skin care habits because of this chronic problem.  I attribute that as a big reason why my skin looks so much nicer today.  But the reason I learned to embrace a great foundation, was not so much the acne, but the resulting spots of annoying hyper pigmentation (very common to women of color)  that lasted so much longer than the pimple and dotted my face like a road map.  No amount of gorgeous eye makeup or lip color could compete with those spots.  So I learned a thing or two about which foundations worked well for me over the years and because of the resulting technology of these products, I also learned which ones lasted longer, gave amazing coverage, and possess illuminating effects.  Let me reiterate, I have tried TONS of foundations.  These are four I adore.
     So let me tell you about each in detail and provide a pic...

Marc Jacobs Genius Gel - Supercharged Foundation $48.00
     I fell in love with this foundation when I swatched in at Sephora.  It is a super smooth gel, highly pigmented and it settles to a velvety finish.  In fact, the company describes this as a "buildable gel" and this is so true so that extra application can be given to areas that need it.  It hydrates with coconut water extract but this is far from greasy or heavy. The color selection is only adequate for women of color.  I personally would love to see more darker shades in this line.  My color is #84 Cocoa Medium and it is perfect.  The finish is a lovely balance of matte and luminous.  Perfect for day or evening.  1 fluid ounce  marcjacobs.com   sephora.com 





Fashion Fair Perfect Finish Souffle Makeup  $28.00
     This is hands down my favorite foundation!  In all honesty, this is the first time I have been photographed in other foundations.  EVERY pic you have ever seen me in, I am wearing this one.   I have worn this foundation longer than any other.  My color, Tender, is perfect.  And because Fashion Fair specializes in makeup for women of color, the color selection is great, catering to the darkest of tones.   It blends like a dream.  It is oil free and contains oil absorbing ingredients so skin looks fresh all day. The finish is matte.  1.68 ounces  (fashionfair.com)




  Lancome Teint Miracle Lit-From-Within Makeup  $42.50
     I love a matte finish, but I find a little luminosity can be a girl's best friend.  These makeups make skin look more natural, and for lack of a better word, youthful.  At my age, skin loses its natural radiance and it is nice to know there are foundations that can bring it back.  If you look at the bottle up close, you see the most beautiful golden sparkle.  This light reflecting blurs minor flaws and mimics candlelight.  I adore this foundation for evening and during the day for winter when days are drab and gray.  It provides 18 hours of hydration, is nonirritating, and provides SPF 15 sunscreen. My color is Suede 2 (W)  1.0 fluid ounce (lancome.com)




Maybelline Super Stay Makeup 24 Hour Wear   Price Varies
     Oh, Super Stay!  How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways!  It is oil free and feels great on the skin. It provides 24 hour wear.  I travel in this makeup and depend on it when I know I will be in makeup for a few good hours.  It never fails me and looks flawless.  The finish is matte.  It is transfer resistant.  It never stains my pillow or my husband's collar.  It withstands heat and the most humid conditions.  And when allergies hit and I blow my nose every 10 minutes, this stays looking great as I go through hundreds of tissues.  It is widely available where ever Maybelline is sold.  I have even purchased it in lots of three or four on Ebay.  The highest price I have ever seen is around $11.00 per bottle, but I have found it for as little as $7.00 on sale. My color is Caramel.  For women of color, the shade selection is a bit dismal for darker tones online, and not much better in the stores. 1.0 fluid ounce (maybelline.com)



        Before I close out, let me share the products that remained constant in each of these pics.

  Lancome Bienfait Teinte in Caramel #6 served as a moisturizer with Phillip's Milk of Magnesia (not shown)  as my primer.  Sleek Makeup Contour Kit in Dark (not shown) sculpts and highlights.  Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre #3 and a yellow powder under the eyes sets the foundations.  MAC Pro Longwear Concealor in NC 35 also highlights the "T" zone and under the eyes.  For color, NYX Love In Florence Eyeshadow Palette in #5 Sunsets With Sophia and Bite Lipshine in Champagne Pearl add earthy color.
   Thank you so much for joining me!  Please let me know your favorite foundations and any recommendations you would love to share.  As always, stay blessed and Color Elated!



   

3 comments:

  1. Great post! The only foundation I really use is Fashion Fair Foundation Stick. It's such a good foundation.

    plovesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pilar (I love that name), I adore stick foundation for its portability and convenience. I bet Fashion Fair makes a great one. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. My favorite is Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation I wear it all the time!
    The Fashion Fair Perfect Finish Souffle Makeup looks great and I def want to try it now, thanks to you ;-)
    Thanks for sharing this great selection. xoxo

    ReplyDelete