Popular Posts

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Art of the Well Groomed Brow

A warm welcome to the Color Elated!

    Methods to achieve the well groomed brow are as varied as the women who have them.  For many, a simple sweep of a brow brush is all that is needed to face the world without a brow worry.  For the rest of us...it aint that simple!
     My quest for beautiful brows started about four years ago.  In fact, it coincided with my introduction to YouTube where I found so many wonderfully color elated artists sharing their methods of creating brows where none existed, taming wild ones, or keeping them in place for the day.  Much of what I do now is predicated on what I learned from them.
     But take a moment to consider the brow.  Two patches of hair, strategically placed above our eyes.  In a functional sense, they protect our eyes, shielding them from harmful, airborne matter.  Aesthetically, they frame the eyes.  When done correctly, they add dimension and further define the eye area.  When done correctly, they can make you look refreshed, alert, even a tad younger.  When done incorrectly, they can become a hideous focal point, detracting from the most beautiful of eye makeup.  When done incorrectly, they can cause you to look tired, older, and even angry. Even Cruella's smile, cannot compete with harshly done brows.

    Now, I am fully aware that as fashion and makeup trends change, so do brows.  Stronger, bushier brows have graced recent magazine adds and runways and can be striking and memorizing.  Brows ala Brook Shields.  Yes, this brow can look high fashion with a bit of expert grooming.  Girls with fuller brows, I think you are blessed! (Pictures courtesy of Pinterest)

 
  My brows are surprisingly (at least to me) thinner than most and I am resolved that the well-defined arch many women naturally have, is not located in my DNA.  Mine have a gentle, moon like arch and when I try to give them a cosmetic lift, I tend to look like I am auditioning for Ringling Brothers.  So, I have long since resigned myself to play up my thinner, gently arching brows and learn to love them.
   I wax...occasionally.  Actually, I prefer to do this myself as if I go regularly, as advised, my brows get progressively thinner and thinner by over zealous professionals.  There comes a point for me when a professional visit is warranted, but most of the grooming I do myself.  Today, I want to share my cosmetic approach to a well groomed brow.
 



    So, here are my brows in their natural state: in sore need of defined borders, color, and overall shape.  I use the following products to achieve my look:  Mn Waterproof brow pencils in Dark Coffee or Black (colorelation.com), Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel (purchased from Sephora), a stiff yet flexible synthetic brush, and LadyBurd's Paramedical Kamaflage Foundation in Caramel Creme.
    1) I quickly brush my brows with the brush provided on the brow pencil to get them ready for what is ahead.

2.)  With the brow color of my choice, I draw the bottom and top edges of the brow.  Like using a lip pencil, I aim just a bit above my natural hairline as I want to create more fullness.

 3.)  Then, I fill in with the color using light, quick strokes.  I concentrate the color on the outer ends, keeping the inner section as light as possible.  The darker outer ends create the illusion of elongation.

4.)  The clear brow gel is applied.  This adds further brushing of the brow, disperses the color, and when it dries, the brows are set for the day.

5.)  Cream foundation is applied with the brush around the brow.  I left it messy so you can see. Note how the foundation is added to the inner part to soften the brow color. After it is blended in, you decide if  it looks balanced.  You may need to add more pencil or foundation.  Tweak it until it looks good to you.

6.)  The result will look more defined, more color enhanced.  When you apply your foundation, your look will truly be complete.



    I usually wear my brows in dark brown like the first pic.  I will occasionally change up to bolder black when the fashion and hair color change warrant it, like the last pic.
    Thanks so much for visiting.  I would love to hear about your brow routine and products.  Please leave a post and visit again!  Stay blessed and color elated!
                                                                                                            xoxo-Tamera

2 comments: