Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Color Elation Destination: Las Vegas!

Hello My Dear Color Elated Friends,



     Tell me, who could not look at this iconic sign and not get excited?  Las Vegas is a magic!  People from all over the world flock to this spreading metropolis in the desert just to get a taste of the magic.  Whether it is to become a star or to unwind on a much deserved vacation, Las Vegas is a place where dreams can come true.  Like New York, it is a city that does not sleep.  And I love how it offers something for everyone.  Whether you travel with a significant other, or with the girls (or guys), or whether you come as a family, there is no shortage of fun and interesting things to do.  Truth be told, I am a gambling chicken.  But I love the shows, the shopping, the amazing restaurants, and the people watching.  I mean, where else on earth can you travel to Italy, Paris, New York, and an MGM lot in the same day?
 
         When creating a Las Vegas inspired look, I had to seriously think of one source of inspiration.  Not easy to do.  One thing I knew:  the look would not be color shy, it had to be fun and have a touch of drama, and contain...GLITTER!  Next, I wanted to draw inspiration from an iconic image.  Again, not easy to do, because there are tons.  Once upon a time, I had a Paint Wheel from Lady Burd Cosmetics, named Roulette.  It was a four colored compact of green, blue, burgundy red, and black.  Though this compact was made for body paint and not for eye use, I loved the colors and wondered how comparable shades would work in an eye look.  So, I searched my vast collection for colors with enough "oomph" to do what I wanted.  Using this image of the wheel, I settled on a bright green, bright red, black, and a blue, and since Nevada is The Silver State, silver glitter lined the bottom.

     So, the look went like this:  First I based the look with my Sephora + Pantone Universe Color Code Prismatic Shadow Block (lower center)  in Emerald in the inner corners then my Sleek Mineral Based Eyeshadow Palette (left bottom), using that incredible ocean blue cream on the remainder of the lid.  I then topped each base with a matching powder shade.  Sephora + Pantone Universe Bionic Color Grid Shadow Block in Emerald (upper center) was applied to the inner corner, and in my BH Party Girl Palette (top), I applied the ocean blue shadow, bottom row, first color on the left.  I took the black from the BH palette (third row down from the top, eighth one from the left) to create a cut crease with MAC Fix + and an angled brush. When I achieved the desired intensity, I took a vibrant red (from the left, third row down, first shadow) and applied that to the crease.  Blend, blend, blend. Black pen liner created a bold line on top, kohl pencil on the bottom waterline added more definition.  Under the bottom lash line, I applied a silver pencil and topped it with plenty of NYX Liquid Crystal Liner in Crystal Gun Metal.  To finish the look, I did not shy away from a dramatic lip.  Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Black Metal Dahlia added intense color with amazing flicks of glitter.  Like a showgirl.  Black Radiance Artisan color Baked Blush in Warm Berry complimented the lip color.  And, because this is an homage to Las Vegas, I had to add sweeping, fantasy lashes like these from Monda.




     This look for me so embodies the spark and energy of Las Vegas.  It is uninhibited, colorful, glitzy, and each portion of it was something out of the ordinary.  I had a great deal of fun with this look.  Please feel free to comment.  Also, join me on my YouTube channel, Color Elated.  My latest video, "Spring Finds" was filmed after my Sephora visit  near the Venetian Hotel (my current favorite stay)  and highlights a few of my favorite new finds.  Thanks so much for joining me.  Stay blessed and Color Elated!

No comments:

Post a Comment